2006-08-12

Why I Won't Be Discussing Politics Here

This isn't a political blog.

This is a blog for me. I appreciate those of you who wander by, and those of you I personally know and love and who pull a chair to kibitz, but I'm really writing this as a chronicle of my time living outside the comfortable environs of SoCal, USA.

But sometimes world events happen in your backyard. Of course, living in LA, we got several nationally newsworthy events a year: Malibu mudslides, brushfires, floods, the occasional riot, the occasional major earthquake, OJ Simpson (that one was really in my backyard. For years after, I'd walk a few blocks up the street and macabre tourists would be posing for photos in front of Nicole's former condo).

However, in the last thirteen months, London has had its share of world events. The last few days do not compare to 7/7, of course; there was no loss of life, just loss of carry-on items. Material possessions can be replaced. Human beings cannot. (Although I am selfishly thankful that my trip to the States was three weeks ago and not last week. And the thought of flying eleven hours to LA without my contact lens solution, spray cleanser for my glasses, hand lotion, stress points gel, moisturizer and facial spray - not to mention three liters of water - is a bit daunting. But I am strong! I will survive! I will be flaky, parched and blind, but alive!)

It was fairly quiet in the office. The only concession to ten planes narrowly escaping an explosive end was that the office TVs were all on and tuned to Sky News, CNN or the Beeb. That stiff upper lip was ever-present. We didn't even talk about it that much, except to catch up on any colleagues caught in the melee.

But since the plane plot was made public, I'm a bit more excitable. Full of nervous energy. The pressures of modern life in general, or residue from the news? Who knows.

Anayway, back to the opening statement. This isn't a political blog, although sometimes it may slip here and there. It's just...human, one hopes...to be interested in the world and to have strong opinions on the running of such.

But.

I saw a wake-up call on how others can twist blogs - even chatty, personal ones - to their own purposes, and wreak havoc with one stroke of the key.

I like reading other expat blogs, to see if we share the same reactions to living on this side of the Atlantic or how we may differ. When I find a blog I like, I add it to Bloglines.

So I don't know Helen. I don't even remember how I first found her blog. But I've been reading her posts for a few months now.

When the news first broke about the airplane plot and new security measures, Helen wrote this post.

It's pretty innocuous to me. She's not saying anything that I haven't seen many others say. And, above all, y'know, an opinion? She's entitled to one. She's even entitled to make it public on the internet.

A US political blogger, of whom I've never heard but who is apparently pretty popular, linked to Helen's post, in the process calling her a "sad moonbat" and basically painting Helen Commie Red and Un-American Cowardly Blue in the process.

Read the repercussions of Helen having an opinion here.

She got death threats, people.
Threats against her puppy.
Her reproductive rights called into question.

All for saying that, gee, I'm a little sad at the shape of the world today. And because some female political commentator, who doesn't know Helen and who doesn't read her blog, decided to twist Helen's words anyway to suit her own political agenda. Of the two people involved, I certainly know which one I'd characterize as "sad" - and it ain't Helen.

You can disagree with someone's opinion - feel more than welcome to disagree with mine - but let's leave the (highly illegal) death threats at the door, 'kay?

I hope Helen reported the threats to the FBI and the sender's ISP...

2 comments:

Eileen said...

Yeesh. I read her post and I don't get it. It seems very balanced. Everyone needs to take a deep breath. Maybe eat more chocolate too.

LondonWriting said...

Yes, chocolate is very much needed!